SHORT INCA TRAIL: 2 DAYS
Price from: $ 545.00 USD
2-Day Short Trek
Explore the Magic of the Inka through the Short Inka Trail, an option designed for travelers who want to immerse themselves in the Inca Trail experience without committing to extensive periods of multi-day hikes. This thrilling 2-day/1-night trek is perfect for families with children, as it involves only one day of hiking (approximately 6 hours) and provides overnight accommodation in comfortable hotels.
Throughout the journey, marvel at the lushness of our flora and fauna while exploring some of the most iconic Inca ruins, including the Wiñaywayna Inca site. The highlight comes at the end of the trek when you pass through the Sun Gate and enjoy the spectacular first view of Machu Picchu from above. On the second day, you’ll return to the ruins to unravel the mysteries and stories as you navigate alongside your Tierra Biru Expeditions guide.
Would you like to spend the night under the stars at a private campsite during this exciting 2-day adventure? Explore our 2-Day Inca Trail with Camping.
- Tour Type: Hiking adventure, history, culture immersion
- Recommended for: Moderate physical fitness
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Considerations: Permit Required
2-Day Short Inca Trail:
DescriptionOur Short Inca Trail Trek takes us past breathtaking Inca ruins, where we encounter native exotic birds such as the Andean guan, swans, giant hummingbirds, and delightful Andean flora. Throughout our journey through the forests, we may also come across a diverse range of wild orchids and bromeliads. Upon reaching the vicinity of the Wiñaywayna ruin, we pause for our box lunch before proceeding to the Machu Picchu viewpoint.
- Day 1: Inca Trail – Sun Gate – Machu Picchu (Walking Distance: 15 km / 8 miles)
- Day 2: Machu Picchu (You will be back in Cusco around 8:30PM)
Inca Trail AvailabilityPermits and Guidelines: The Inca Trail Tour takes place within the confines of a UNESCO World Heritage Site, where a restricted number of daily tickets are allocated. It is essential to plan in advance and acquire permits from the Tierra Biru Expeditions tour operator to guarantee your participation. Strict adherence to these guidelines is imperative to safeguard the integrity of this historical trail for the well-being of forthcoming generations.
- DECEMBER 2023: AVAILABLE
- JANUARY 2024: AVAILABLE
- FEBRUARY 2024: UNAVAILABLE
- MARCH 2024: AVAILABLE
- APRIL 2024: AVAILABLE
- MAY 2024: AVAILABLE
- JUNE 2024: AVAILABLE
- JULY 2024: AVAILABLE
- AUGUST 2024: AVAILABLE
- SEPTEMBER 2024: AVAILABLE
- OCTOBER 2024: AVAILABLE
- NOVEMBER 2024: AVAILABLE
- DECEMBER 2024: AVAILABLE
- JANUARY 2025: AVAILABLE
Day 1: Trek to Machu Picchu
Embark on a concise exploration with the Tierra Biru Expeditions Inca Trail tour to Machu Picchu. Your adventure begins as you're collected from your hotel between 4:00 and 4:30 AM. A journey to the train station ensues, boarding the 6:40 AM train from Ollantaytambo. The trail shadows the Urubamba River until Km 104, the launchpad for our trek. Revel in panoramic views of farmlands, snow-clad mountains, and the formidable Urubamba River. At Km 104 (2,000 m), the captivating trek commences. After disembarking the train, fuel up with snacks, capture a group photo, and initiate our venture towards the Classic Inca Trail. The path unfolds to reveal breathtaking vistas of Machu Picchu, the Urubamba River, and neighboring Inca sites.
After three hours of trekking, we arrive at the enchanting Incan site of Wiñay Wayna (Forever Young) at 2,600 m/8,500 ft. Explore the elaborate water features, temples, and terraces rarely seen by many. Gain insights into Inca history against a backdrop of dramatic cliffs and mountainous landscapes.
A short stroll from Wiñay Wayna leads to the Tierra Biru Expeditions campsite, exclusive to Classic Inca Trail hikers. Indulge in a hot, freshly prepared lunch by Tierra Biru Expeditions' chefs, replenish your water supply, and take a well-deserved rest.
Continuing from Wiñay Wayna, we trek to the Sun Gate, providing a picturesque panorama of Machu Picchu. Following this breathtaking experience, we descend to Machu Picchu, strategically timed after the departure of day travelers, ensuring an uninterrupted exploration. After capturing photos and exploring, we take a bus to Aguas Calientes and proceed to your hotel. Following dinner (included), an early bedtime is recommended to maximize the next day.
Meals Included: Lunch and Dinner.
Day 2: Discover the "Lost City of the Incas"
An early rise allows us to catch one of the initial buses for a captivating sunrise at Machu Picchu. A private English-speaking Tierra Biru Expeditions guide leads a two-hour guided walking tour, followed by personal exploration time. Those with Huayna Picchu tickets can ascend the mountain, approximately a one-and-a-half-hour round trip. After exploration, you can opt for a bus or a walk down to Aguas Calientes for a leisurely afternoon. Don't forget to catch your afternoon train to Ollantaytambo, where we will meet you at the station and drive you back to Cusco.
Meals Included: Breakfast Only
- Professional Guides: All Tierra Biru Expeditions guides are graduates of Cusco National University, with expertise in tourism and English. They are local residents, deeply committed to their families and heritage.
- Permits: Upon receiving your details and deposit, we will secure your permits (subject to availability, check our Inca Trail Availability link). These permits are specific to your chosen date and are non-transferable. Only updates to your passport number are allowed. The permit includes entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Hotel: The trek includes one night in a three-star hotel in Aguas Calientes, the town below Machu Picchu. Your booked hotel will be specified on your invoice, with upgrade options available.
- Transportation: Tierra Biru Expeditions provides all transportation for the trek. You will be picked up directly from your hotel around 4 am (unless staying in Ollantaytambo) and transported to KM 104 to start your trek. The return train from Aguas Calientes will be on the Expedition Class Train, included in your trip. An upgrade to the Vistadome train is available for $75 per person. Upon arrival at the train station, our Tierra Biru Expeditions van will take you back to your hotel in Cusco. A round-trip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu is also included.
- Food: Tierra Biru Expeditions ensures you savor spectacular food en route to Machu Picchu. A peaceful lunch awaits at the Wiñay Wayna ruins, followed by dinner in the best restaurant in Aguas Calientes. The next morning, enjoy breakfast at your hotel. Lunch is not provided on the last day of your trek.
- Water: Receive a bottle of water for your morning hike and another during lunch. We encourage you to bring extra for optimal hydration in the mountains.
- First Aid: Every Tierra Biru Expeditions guide is trained in first aid by a physician. Regular training sessions are conducted for all employees. Your guide will carry a first-aid kit with oxygen for basic medical needs. In case of an incident, rare as it may be, we ensure a prompt and comfortable exit from the trail, staying with you until you're either back at your hotel or receiving medical attention.
- Satellite Phones: Safety is our top priority. While our guides are well-prepared, we provide an extra layer of security with Satellite Phones on every trek. Guides carry fully charged phones for emergency use. Clients can also use them for non-emergencies at an additional fee.
- Rentals: Since there is no camping on this trek, the only possible needs might be an extra porter or walking sticks (Pair: $10).
- Porters: As this is a one-day hike without camping, porters are not included. It's your responsibility to carry your day pack with necessary items for the evening and the next day at Machu Picchu. If you prefer a porter, it can be arranged for a fee based on your bag's weight. Arrange this at the time of booking, as the porter will also need a permit.
- Huayna Picchu: This mountain adjacent to Machu Picchu offers incredible views but involves a steep descent. If you choose this hike, it occurs after your Machu Picchu tour. Cost: $75 per person, with arrangements to be made at least one month in advance due to popularity.
- Passport: Ensure it's valid.
- STUDENT CARD: If booked as a student.
- Immigration Card: Provided on the plane upon entering Peru.
- Daypack: The smaller, the better.
- Water storage: Consider Camelbaks or bottles.
- Water: Bring enough for the beginning of the hike; we'll resupply at lunch.
- Comfortable hiking boots: Lightweight with good soles.
- 1 Wicking/Hiking Shirt and hiking pants.
- Nice shirt and pants for Machu Picchu day.
- 2 sets of undergarments, including hiking socks.
- Waterproof jacket or rain poncho.
- Sun hat.
- Bathing suits for hot springs (Optional in Aguas Calientes).
- Sun protection: Cream and hat.
- Insect Repellent.
- Personal medication.
- Personal first aid kit.
- iPhone/iPod for music.
- Flashlight with spare batteries.
- Extra money: For souvenirs, drinks, and tips.
|Adventure (hiking), Archaeological Discovery, Cultural Immersion, and Ecological Exploration
|Recommended group size:
|1 to 16 explorers
|Easy and Moderate
|Recommended age for the tour:
|Participants must be at least 18 years old to embark on a solo Tierra Biru adventure. For minors accompanied by a guardian aged 21 or older, the minimum age is 6.